It can be difficult deciding what to write in a Christmas card. Most people opt to purchase Christmas cards with stock printed messages inside, and simply sign their name. This is definitely the easiest and quickest option – but the downside is that it’s a little cold and impersonal.
By writing a personalised, handwritten message, your loved ones will know that you really care, and appreciate the thought you’ve put in. This is more important than ever in 2020, as the festive season will undoubtedly be a little different for all of us. It’s been a trying year for everyone, and many of us won’t be able to see our family and friends in person.
So, what should you write in your 2020 Christmas cards? Our ultimate guide to Christmas card greetings will help inspire you!
General Christmas Card Greetings
Let’s start off with some general ideas for what to write in Christmas cards for friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances. These Christmas card messages will work for pretty much anyone you’re sending a card to this year.
- “A very merry Christmas and a happy new year from the [x] family. Enjoy the festivities, relax and have fun!”
- “I hope this festive season is a joyous, fun and peaceful one. All the best from our family to yours.”
- “Have a great Christmas and an equally fantastic New Year. Lots of love and Christmas wishes to you!”
- “This year, I hope your Christmas is as merry and bright as you could possibly wish.”
- “May all of your wildest Christmas wishes come true this December.”
- “This Christmas, may you have a wonderfully relaxing day, eat good food, enjoy good company, and be happy.”
- “Happy Christmas to you! I hope that your Christmas is full of love, peace and laughter.”
- “Great friends like you are worth a million Christmas presents. I hope your festive season is simply the best!”
- “At Christmas time, may your days sparkle as brightly as you do. Have a great holiday season!”
- “I hope you have a fun and happy Christmas, and that the coming New Year brings you plenty of love, joy and excitement.”
Christmas Messages for a Tough Year
Sometimes, it’s hard to know exactly what to say to someone at Christmas if they’ve had a difficult year. 2020 has been hard on most of us, whether we’ve been struggling with loneliness, self-isolation, illness, bereavement, financial difficulties or redundancy. Here are some caring and thoughtful Christmas card messages for loved ones that are having a tough time.
- “I know that this year has been hard for you. I hope that the Christmas season and the approaching New Year bring happiness, love and laughter back into your life.”
- “At Christmas time and the rest of the year, know that our family is always here for yours. Wishing you peace, love and joy.”
- “Wishing you as happy and fun a Christmas as you could dream of, especially during these challenging times.”
- “Despite the struggles you’ve all faced this year, I hope that you and your family can find joy and happiness this Christmas.”
- “This Christmas may be tougher than any before, but where there is hope, there’s light. Have a peaceful and joyous festive season, with our love.”
- “This festive season, may you find the time to appreciate the small things in life, and show yourself love and kindness.”
- “Although the festive season may be difficult for you, we’re wishing you love and warmth this Christmas. Please contact us if you ever need anything.”
- “I hope you know that my love and well wishes are always with you, at Christmas time and always.”
Christmas Card Messages from Far Away
We can’t always be with our loved ones at Christmas, especially if they live far away. That’s true every year, but this year in particular. Due to the pandemic, we might not even be able to spend the day with our close family and friends, as we usually would. Here are some Christmas card messages for friends and family that you won’t be seeing this year, either for geographical or social distancing reasons.
- “I know we usually spend Christmas together, and it’s a shame that we can’t this year. But know that I’m still thinking of you, and sending you all my Christmas love and hugs!”
- “From our family to yours, across the miles, we hope you have a wonderful and fun festive season.”
- “I wish we could spend Christmas together this year, but since we can’t, I’m sending my Christmas love wrapped up in this card. Have a great holiday!”
- “I miss you every day of the year, but especially at Christmas time.”
- “Even though we’re not spending the festive season together this year, I’ll be with you in spirit! Merry Christmas!”
- “Christmas won’t be the same this year without you, but let’s have fun and make merry all the same.”
- “We might be farther apart this Christmas than we’d like, but that’s what video calls are for! I’ll be waiting by the phone!”
- “Even though you won’t be joining us for Christmas lunch, I’ll serve you a plate anyway – that’ll save me getting up for seconds!”
- Mention a fun or happy memory from a past Christmas that you’ve shared together
Christmas Card Messages of Thanks
Christmas is the perfect time of year to tell your loved ones that you appreciate them, and why. Use these Christmas messages to thank your loved ones for their help, their love and care, or simply their influence in your life.
- “This year, you’ve helped me out so much, and I wanted to use this Christmas card to say thank you. I’m so grateful for everything you do!”
- “Thank you so much for all the little ways in which you make my life better. Have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year!”
- “Life simply wouldn’t be the same without you, and nor would Christmas. Thank you for all you do for me, and have a lovely festive season!”
- “This isn’t just a Christmas card – it’s a ‘thank you’, too. I want you to know how much I appreciate you. Have a wonderful holiday!”
- “Words aren’t enough to tell you how thankful I am that you’re a part of my life. I hope your Christmas is as happy as you make me!”
- “Thank you for all the hard work you’ve put in this year. Have a lovely, relaxing Christmas – you deserve it!”
Funny Things to Write In a Christmas Card
Sometimes, a festive joke is just the thing to lift the spirits at Christmas time. Make your family and friends laugh by including one of these funny Christmas messages in their card this year.
- “Merry Christmas! You might be on the naughty list this year, but I’ll bet all the fun was worth it!”
- “I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a white Christmas this year. But if that runs out, I’m happy to drink the red!”
- “I hope you enjoy your Christmas dinner, but if you have sprouts, make sure to leave the window open!”
- “We wish you a merry Christmas, and a happy new year – I would sing, but I’ll bet you’re sick of the Christmas music already!”
- “This year, may your fun be large, your bills small, and your batteries included!”
- “The kids might wish it could be Christmas every day, but my bank account certainly doesn’t!”
- “Unfortunately, Christmas is cancelled this year. I told Father Christmas that you’d been good, and he died of laughter!”
- “Whoever said ‘all is calm’ at this time of year has clearly never visited my house on Christmas morning! Hope yours is a little less chaotic!”
- “This Christmas, I hope your presents are all fantastic – and that the rubbish ones will at least come with the receipt!”
Romantic Christmas Card Messages
Christmas is not only a time for laughter, fun and family, but also a time for love. Here are some romantic Christmas card greetings for your special one.
- “For most of the world, Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. But for me, it’s whenever I’m in your arms.”
- “I carry Christmas spirit with me every day of the year that I spend with you.”
- “Mariah Carey said it best: all I want for Christmas is you. Merry Christmas!”
- “I don’t care what presents are waiting for me under the tree this year, just as long as you’re sat beside it.”
- “The best gift this Christmas isn’t something material – it’s the feeling I get in my heart whenever I look at you.”
- “Every Christmas that I spend with you is better and better. I hope that we’ll have many more Christmases just like this!
- “For me, the best part of Christmas isn’t the food, or the presents, or the atmosphere. It’s waking up next to you, just like every other day.”
- “Christmas comes only once a year, but my love for you grows stronger each and every day.”
- “Merry Christmas my love. Mince pies may be sweet, but you’re sweeter!”
- “My love for you shines brighter than the Christmas star.”
Christmas Quotes for Cards
Christmas quotes can be funny, inspirational, or just plain heart-warming. Here are some of our favourite festive quotes for the inside of your Christmas cards.
- “Just remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart.” – The Polar Express
- “At Christmas, all roads lead home.” – Marjorie Holmes
- “Aren’t we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know, the birth of Santa.” – Bart Simpson
- “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don’t clean it up too quickly.”– Andy Rooney
- “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?” – Dr. Seuss
- “The world has grown weary through the years, but at Christmas, it is young.” – Phillips Brooks
- “Christmas isn’t just a day. It’s a frame of mind.” – Valentine Davies
- “The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.” – George Carlin
- “He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.” – Roy L. Smith
- “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” – Charles Dickens
- “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” – Charles M. Schulz
- “Peace on Earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day.” – Helen Steiner Rice
- “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” – Hamilton Wright Mabie
- “The smells of Christmas are the smells of childhood.” – Richard Paul Evans
- “Christmas works like glue, it keeps us all sticking together.” – Rosie Thomas
- “A Christmas gambol oft could cheer the poor man’s heart through half the year.” – Walter Scott
Religious Christmas Card Messages
Christmas began as a Christian celebration, and for many of us, it still is. These religious Christmas card messages will help your loved ones remember the true meaning of the special day.
- “This Christmas, may the Lord bless you and keep you, just as he does all through the year.”
- “Have a very merry Christmas, and I hope God’s blessings fill your heart with joy this year.”
- “Merry Christmas! I hope you and your family have a joyous, blessed day filled with God’s love.”
- “I wish for Christ’s love and blessings to fill your home this Christmas.”
- “Have a blessed Christmas day, and may God bring you and your loved ones peace and joy.”
- “Today, our lives are filled with joy, because of a special baby boy. Have a very happy Christmas!”
- “While you’re enjoying a fun-filled Christmas this year, take a moment to thank the Lord for all his love and blessings. Merry Christmas!”
If you’re sending a card to someone of a religion other than Christianity (or no religion at all), it’s best to avoid Christian references (such as Jesus). Also, to be on the safe side, avoid using the word ‘Christmas’ (as it’s a traditionally Christian holiday). Instead, opt for a secular message such as ‘Season’s Greetings’, ‘Festive Wishes’ or ‘Happy Holidays’.
Have you decided what you’ll be writing in your Christmas cards this year? Then head over to Christmas Connections to find the perfect Christmas cards!